Elizabeth was born in London, the first child of the Duke and Duchess of York, later King George VI and Queen Elizabeth, and she was educated privately at home. Her father ascended the throne on the abdication of his brother King Edward VIII in 1936, from which time she was the heir presumptive.
She began to undertake public duties during the Second World War, serving in the Auxiliary Territorial Service. In 1947, she married Philip, Duke of Edinburgh, a former prince of Greece and Denmark, with whom she had four children: Charles, Prince of Wales; Anne, Princess Royal; Prince Andrew, Duke of York; and Prince Edward, Earl of Wessex.
Queen Elizabeth II’s Net Worth
At the time of her passing, Queen Elizabeth II’s net worth was $600 million, according to Celebrity Net Worth.
As GOBankingRates previously reported, citing Forbes, the queen’s personal wealth is linked to her robust collections of art, jewelry, and a pair of private properties including Sandringham House and Balmoral Castle, the latter being the spot where she passed away. Parade notes that Balmoral Castle is valued at $140 million while Sandringham is valued at $65 million.
The Queen also receives 25% of annual profits from the Crown Estate income, which is a portfolio of royal residences worth $28 billion; the remaining 75% goes to the British Treasury. According to Forbes, the Crown Estate made more than $475 million in profits in 2020, netting the royal family around $120 million.
According to Parade, inheritances from late members of Queen Elizabeth’s family have also increased her net worth. This includes the $94 million received from the Queen Mother’s estate when she died in 2022 (from art, Faberge eggs, horses, and jewellery), as well as the majority of the $30 million received from the estate of her husband, Prince Philip, who died in April 2021.
According to Parade, Elizabeth II benefited financially from the “Privy Purse,” a collection of landholdings from the Duchy of Lancaster passed down to each new monarch. It comprises 45,700 acres of farmland in England. According to Town & Country, this is a “major source of income” for the Queen, with profits of $30 million in 2020 alone.
Queen Elizabeth’s Ascension to the Throne
Princess Elizabeth of York was born on April 21, 1926, as the firstborn child of the Duke and Duchess of York, who later became King George VI and Queen Elizabeth I. During WWII, she took on public duties, and in 1947, she married Prince Philip Mountbatten (who was an heir to Greece and Denmark); they were married for 73 years. They shared the birth of four children: Prince Charles, Princess Anne, Prince Andrew, and Prince Edward.
When Elizabeth’s father, George VI, died in 1952, she became Queen of England at the age of 25 and was crowned a year later (the first royal ceremony to ever be televised per Celebrity Net Worth). Queen Elizabeth II was the longest-reigning monarch and arguably one of the most recognized royals in the world, reigning for 70 years and seven months.
Elizabeth II ruled the Commonwealth, which includes the United Kingdom, Canada, Australia, New Zealand, Jamaica, Barbados, the Bahamas, Grenada, Papua New Guinea, the Solomon Islands, Tuvalu, Saint Lucia, Saint Vincent and the Grenadines, Belize, Antigua and Barbuda, and Saint Kitts and Nevis. The queen also presided over the Church of England.
Prior to Elizabeth II’s death, one of the biggest shocks to the royal family was the untimely death of Princess Diana in a fatal car accident while being chased by paparazzi, an event that will mark a 25-year anniversary in 2022.
What’s Next for the Royal Family and England?
Upon news of the queen’s passing on September 8, The Guardian reports there is now a period of official mourning in which royal residences will be closed to the public and bells will be tolled at Westminster Abbey and St. Paul’s Cathedral on Friday. The outlet also reports there will be ceremonial gun salutes at Tower Hill and London’s Hyde Park. Details will also likely soon emerge for her funeral services, which are expected to be the most significant royal event one of the most televised in history.
In a public ceremony, Prince Charles will also be fully recognized as King of England. “The death of my beloved mother, Her Majesty The Queen, is a moment of great sadness for me and all members of my family,” he said in a statement on Thursday.
We are deeply saddened by the death of a beloved sovereign and mother. I know her passing will be felt deeply throughout the country, the realms, and the Commonwealth, as well as by countless people worldwide. During this time of mourning and transition, my family and I will be comforted and sustained by the knowledge of the Queen’s widespread respect and affection.”
Till Then, keep yourself updated with all the latest news from our website dailyrealtime.com.